What is TOEFL?
General question what is TOEFL usually raised by any person who stands to know the exam of English language . If I speak the language fluently or write the language with out any any error then would be it considered as a good speaker good writer as well as a good owner on the grips of the language.
These things are knowing as scriptures or in general way I can say the breed of language. today I just not consider my concentration on that awful, I just write the brief discussion in my blog, and, today you can get any information via that if you can’t understand you can comment here and ask any question which is rise in your mind after reading this post be careful that here are only general tips by which you easily understand the requirement of that exam I just do not promise you that you can qualify that exam after reading this post. as a favour of any exam I will consider you to that you should take the examination on the basis of your preparation, so next exam will be covered up every 12 days or you can say in a cycle of 12 days this exam held by the ETS.
TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language.
It tests the ability of a person to understand and utilize English in an academic setting.
- It is administered by Education Testing Service i.e., ETS.
- It is available in two forms:
- Although Internet Based Test has replaced the Computer Based Test completely, but in some areas where internet is not available, the paper based test still hold its importance.
- TOEFL is required by Government agencies, licensing bodies, businesses, or scholarship programs.
- It is acceptable in United States, Canada, France, Germany & Italy. However it is available at other English speaking nations as well.
- The test was first administered in 1964 and has since been taken by more than 23 million students.
- The committee that looks after the test formulation has made it sure that the test is a complete measure of English proficiency and follows the current trends and methodologies.
- It is an admission requirement for people who are not natives of English speaking nations and want to study in colleges or universities of English speaking countries
TOEFL IBT has replaced TOEFL CBT (Computer Based Test) completely and PBT (Paper Based Test) mostly. TOEFL PBT no more exists in India, so TOEFL IBT is the only course name prevalent.
TOEFL IBT refers to Internet Based test of TOEFL.
TOEFL IBT tests not only a person’s skills individually in listening, reading, writing and speaking but also integrated skills in these tasks.
It involves 4 sections:
The TOEFL IBT is a recent concept and its new features are:
- It tests all four language skills.
- It has a speaking section, which was not available earlier.
- Writing Section is expanded and a candidate is not only required to express opinion but also write a response to material they have heard and read.
- The tasks in writing and speaking are moreover integrated ones only.
- The exam takes about 4 hours and the scoring scare varies between 0-120.
- Scores are reported online.
There are about 7000 institutes of TOEFL IBT across 120 countries and over 4500 test centres taking TOEFL. As it contains only the academic section, it is advanced in measuring the English proficiency in academic relations. It is now accepted in US, Canada, U.K, Australia, New Zealand and many other top institutes at various English speaking nations.
TOEFL PBT refers to the paper based test in TOEFL.
It is no more applicable in India.
However it is believed that some countries where it is difficult to access internet or where IBT has not yet reached, still practice TOEFL PBT.But such regions comprise a meager number and so TOEFL IBT is the only form universally available at present.
Still for the information of people, who want to know what PBT in TOEFL is all about, the structure of PBT is as following: PBT tests the ability of the examiner to read, write and listen in English. It consists of 3 sections mainly and TWE, i.e. Test of Written English also takes place in PBT only.
The sections are:
- Structure & Written Expression
- Writing( TWE)
The test takes about 2-3 hours and is scored on a range from 310- 677. It is comparatively easier and there is no speaking test. However there is TSE, i.e., Test of Spoken English.
TOEFL IBT EXAM PATTERN
Internet Based Test in TOEFL takes 4 hours approximately. Here all sessions of tests take place on the same day itself. That is, speaking also takes place on the same day as other sections.
|Section||Question’s category||Score Range||No. of questions||Time permitted|
|READING||3–5 passages, approximately 700 words long||0-30||36-70 questions (12-14 per passage)||60-100 minutes|
TOEFL IBT SCORES
The table below shows the TOEFL IBT scores as demanded by various universities all over the world. Remember these are the minimum requirements and they may be even more in some cases. So do check personally with the University for the exact scores demanded. However this table will give more than just a clear idea about what is required.
|Sl.No||University’s Name||Reading||Listening||Speaking||Writing||Total Score|
|1||Arizona State University||83|
|3||Brigham Young University||21||21||20||21||85|
|4||Case Western Reserve University – School of Graduate Studies||19||15||22||23||79|
|6||Central Queensland University||20 or more (post graduate coursework) 25 or more(research program)||79 100|
|8||Columbia International University||100(MA TEFL/ICS applicants) 80(Other Graduate and Seminar applicants)|
|10||Michigan State University||80|
|11||Murray State University||20||20||20||20||80 (But some graduate programs require higher scores)|
|12||National American University||61|
|13||New York Institute of Technology||61-79|
|14||Ohio State University||79|
|16||University of Buffalo (SUNY) – Roswell Park Cancer Institute Division||24||96|